Sunday, December 28, 2008
Sunday Stealing: The TV Meme
1. Name a TV show series in which you have seen every episode at least twice:
Little House on The Prairie
2. Name a show you can't miss:
Right now... Nancy Grace - is that considered a show?
3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to watch a show:
4. Name an actor who would make you less likely to watch a show:
Pee Wee Herman or Tom Cruise
5. Name a show you can, and do, quote from:
I don't think I really quote any of them.
6. Name a show you like that no one else enjoys:
7. Name a TV show which you've been known to sing the theme song:
8. Name a show you would recommend everyone to watch:
Big Love - everyone wants to be a polygamist, don't they?
9. Name a TV series you own:
*looks around to see if anyone is reading* The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams
10. Name an actor who launched his/her entertainment career in another medium, but has surprised you with his/her acting chops in television:
11. What is your favorite episode of your favorite series?
Johnathan's Mountain - when Charles Ingalls, Jr dies as a baby and Laura goes to the mountain to ask God to take her and give her Pa back the baby.
12. Name a show you keep meaning to watch, but you just haven't gotten around to yet:
Desperate Housewives, just because everyone talks about it and I feel out of the loop
13. Ever quit watching a show because it was so bad?
aren't they all bad in some way or another?
14. Name a show that's made you cry multiple times:
Little House again. Some of the 80s sitcoms made me cry a time or two - Full House, Growing Pains.
15. What do you eat when you watch TV?
16. How often do you watch TV?
17. What's the last TV show you watched?
there was some stupid cartoon on tv when I went to bed last night.
18. What's your favorite/preferred genre of TV?
19. What was the first TV show you were obsessed with?
20. What TV show do you wish you never watched?
Days of our Lives, because now I'm hooked for life
21. What's the weirdest show you enjoyed?
The Anna Nicole Show
22. What TV show scared you the most?
The 70s Land of the Lost. Damn sleestaks.
23. What is the funniest TV show you have ever watched?
Saturday, December 27, 2008
1. What was the best thing that happened to you personally in 2008?
- Saki. Lame, yes, but true. After losing my Max a few years back, I've looked at every Golden Retriever with sadness.... now I don't. Saki didn't replace Max, but she sure filled up that gap!
- We've had a very good year. Well, not extra ordinary or anything but there is nothing I can complain about really. The only thing that really sticks out in my mind is watching/listening/reading about what Kimber & her family have gone through this year. It really was (is) heartbreaking and it put a whole new look on life for me. I hate seeing her go through this.
- Getting Bush out of there.
- It's one more year of more lawsuits over stupid shit, more people screaming that their rights have been violated... every year society gets stupider.
- I didn't get any gifts.... well, I did get a bag of candy for the white elephant gift at my parents. It was $20 worth of full sized Kit Kats & Starburst.
- It would be a toss up between Demon #1's iPod and Demon #2's Nintendo DS. I had them convinced they weren't getting them.
- Not really. Oh wait... I went 10 months without smoking and then started again. I sorta regret that, I guess.
- I didn't win the lottery.
- um.... nope. Well, besides all the new blogger friends I've made. In person, no.
Thursday, December 25, 2008
- Nope, but I've never had a real tree either. Guess that doesn't matter, but I still haven't.
- My wedding ring & since I found my class ring awhile back, I've been wearing that again.
- Shut up
- 10 frames on the wall, some collages, but that doesn't count the ones on the fridge either.
- We did once. Haven't since.
- Rudolf, of course!
- candy & stuff. The demons this year got stickers and the husband got screwdrivers.
- usually just once
- a wieght bench that has snowmobile parts all over it and does a Wii Fit count?
- it's a Mickey & Minnie in a convertible
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Bah Humbug to Alaska!
ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A giant snowman named Snowzilla has mysteriously appeared again this year — despite the city's cease-and-desist order.
Someone again built the giant snowman in Billy Powers' front yard in an east Anchorage neighborhood. Snowzilla reappeared before dawn Tuesday.
Powers is not taking credit. When questioned Tuesday afternoon, he insisted Snowzilla just somehow happened, again.
For the last three years, Snowzilla — to the delight of some and the chagrin of others — has been a very large feature in Powers' yard. In 2005, Snowzilla rose 16 feet. He had a corncob pipe and a carrot nose and two eyes made out of beer bottles.............."I have tried to jump through every goofy hoop they have sent to me. I have never been confrontational and it goes on and on and on and it is so goofy," he said. "Some of it is unfounded, some is just outrageous."
The city said it did not expect to take any further action until after Christmas.
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Experts who are looking at why allergies appear to be on the rise have come up with a number of theories - for example that we have all become too clean.
Clean water, antibiotics and vaccines have eliminated many of the most toxic challenges which the immune system is designed to fight such as parasites, viruses and infections, so the immune system finds something else to battle such as eggs, wheat or some other innocuous food.
It has also been suggested that children born by Caesarean section, which have risen 40 percent in the last decade, could be at higher risk for allergies, perhaps because their bodies are never exposed to the healthy bacteria in their mothers' birth canals.
But much of this is no more than speculation and while scientists may have a basic understanding of how allergies occur, the complex immune system remains in many respects a puzzle.
Novel approaches are being tried with some success where the offending ingredients are introduced in tiny amounts to see if they can treat, cure or even prevent food allergies from developing in the first place.
The hope is to ultimately come up with a peanut-allergy vaccine.
There are pages upon pages with the same theory - from scientists and doctors. It makes fricken sense. I look at too many parents these days who wash their kids toys, don't let them eat candy out of the dirt and have them wash their hands so many times a day they have rough skin. I don't have anything against hand washing or washing things in general, but lay off a little bit! Those germs are HELPING, not harming.
Demon #2 was a pacifier addict until she was 2 1/2. I couldn't count how many times it dropped on the ground, in the dirt and she picked it up and stuck it in her mouth. And if it was that dirty, I cleaned it off with my own spit and dried it off with my shirt.
The thing that pissed me off the most is that instead of telling these parents to chill the hell out, they are working on yet another vaccine to stick into kids? I laughed at my doctor when he asked if I wanted the demons to get the chicken pox vaccine. Oh, they got it eventually... the natural one. The one that they got from a friend, the one that made them itch and scratch and look like a connect the dot book. Thats the one I gave them. And when they get a cold or the flu? They lay their butts on the couch and let it ride out. I've heard so often "are you taking them to the doctor". Heck with that. I don't want their bodies to be so pumped full of antibiotics that they can't fight off a pimple.
I can say that I'm lucky that I haven't had any serious illnesses with the demons, outside of their hypothyroidism & the occasional psoriasis outbreak, but I don't think it's luck. I think we've made that happen by buying a bottle of NyQuil instead of dropping a co-pay for some antibiotic. We don't have anit-bactrial soap in the house, we wash our hands when we have to, we eat off of each others plates and the dogs kiss us on the lips. We're all healthy, get sick rarely and we sit back and shake our heads at these over-protective, germ fighting, paranoid parents who think that if their child breaths the same air that another child breaths it's going to kill them. And we all stick our fingers in the peanut butter jar.
Yep, we are a peanut butter addicted house. And my kids have been eating peanut butter since before they were walking.
Lighten up, thats all I say. Let your kids get dirty, keep them out of the doctors office (do you know how many fricken sicknesses are in that waiting room?) and let your kids get sick - and get over it - by themselves. I haven't encountered a cold that chicken noodle soup didn't cure.
... and thats my rant for the day.
Of course, Chico wanted to go out with me. He was due for a potty break anyway.
And this is how it went:
Whats that? Chico is coming outside?
Hey Chico, wanna play?
No, Saki, I don't like this snow. Its hard to walk in. You have long legs, it's easier for you. Just let me piss and I'm going back in the house.
I said DO YOU WANNA PLAY?????
No you stupid dog, I don't wanna play!
Mama, how come Chico doesn't wanna play with me in the snow?
This is what I think of Chico today.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Serena is the Queen Bitch who is anal about keeping herself clean, keeping the litterboxes clean and she even cleans up the food that the boys push out of the food dish. She's pretty low maintenance, even though she is a long haired cat.
Big Boy is pretty low maintenance too. The occasional face wash is about all I have to do. He's a white Persian with a very smooshed in nose so his eyes always drain and make these black icky trails on his face.
Then there is Oliver. He has the most hair of all of them. Thick, thick hair. And he could care less how he looks. Or smells. We think he's proud of it, actually, because when he uses the litterbox... he leaves it uncovered for all of us to smell and be proud. Thats where Serena comes in and covers it for him. We all had had enough of how he smelled lately and today he got a bath. He hates baths... with a passion. He's not climbing the wall or anything, he sits through them but he hates them.
But he loves the part that comes next.... this is a cat who hates to be brushed, hates baths but you put a blow dryer on him and he's in heaven. Don't mind his crabby look - he always looks like that. His face does not match his personality at all. He's such a lover.
Oliver had adopted Demon #1 as his own. It's her cat now. He sleeps with her, plays on the computer with her... she's his. So today I told her, "it's your cat... you do it". I gave him the bath because he can be a little hard to handle - thats not all fur, there's lots of muscle under all that fuzz! But she's in the bathroom now blow drying & brushing him. It takes about 1/2 hour to dry him completely. I'm surprised she hasn't asked me if she can be done yet!
It's -19 outside and we have a leaky house... I can't let him run around the house wet. She's gotta finish the job.
And the end result.... she did a good job!!!
If you could put anyone you know on Prozac, who would you choose? I don't wanna put anyone on that... I was on that years ago and I slept 20 hours a day. My shrink called it my "princess drug"... yeah, sleeping beauty. I just have a thing against Prozac.
How do you feel about public displays of affection? I think it's sweet. I love to see couples, especially those who have been married for decades, holding hands and stealing kisses. Make-out sessions on park benches leave a bad taste in my mouth, but affection? I think of affection as showing someone you love them... hugs, kisses, holding hands... and there's nothing wrong with that. The world needs more PDA's.
Sunday, December 21, 2008
1. What is a nickname a former (or present) lover gave you? Nothing really. I had an ex-boyfriend call me Angel all the time, that was about it. It actually flowed over to my friends calling me it for awhile.
2. How do you style your hair? If you just would say "cut" what style is it? I wash it, put some stuff in it and dry it and hope it turns out decent?
3. What's your least favorite Christmas song? Well here's a twist. All you Elvis fans, close your eyes. Any Christmas song sang by him. Sorry, I just never jumped on the Elvis fan bus.
4. How many colors are you wearing now? 3. A blue robe, a blue nightshirt with pink writing and green undies.
5. Are you an introvert or extrovert? I have no idea.
6. What was the last book you read? some serial killer book, but I don't remember the name of it.
7. What's one piece of fiction that changed your life? finding out there was no Santa Claus
8. If you are attracted to someone who is already in a relationship (or married), what might do you do? What might do I do? What??????
9. Is there anything that has made you unhappy recently? my kids fighting... I hate it.
10. What's your favorite dessert? ice cream
11. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? about 15 minutes. Including the shower. I don't waste time. Well... if I have to blow dry my hair completely dry, then add an hour. I hate thick hair.
12. Name one website that you visit daily. Why do you read it? I visit tons of sites everyday... Local6.com comes to mind right away, but they changed their site and now I hate the new layout, but I'm loyal. People in Florida are nuts, thats why I read it.
13. What was your last job before either you are at home or at another job?? Ok, I have re-read this question over and over and even said it out loud and I still can't figure out what the hell you are asking.
14. Do you like to clean? Is this a serious question?
15. What was the last song to get stuck in your head? Well now I have Elvis' "Blue Christmas" in my head thanks to question #3.
16. What's the last movie you saw? I watched The Others yesterday morning... haven't seen that one in awhile. Demon #1 so didn't see it coming when she realized Nicole Kidman & the kids were already dead...
17. Pirates or Ninjas? for what?
18. What is your least favorite thing to do that you have to do everyday? wake my kids up. Seriously, they become the demons from hell when I have to.
19. Best time of your life? When the demons were babies, we were broke and lived in a 1960's style trailer house. And I'm not kidding - those were good times.
20. What are you most looking forward to in the coming year? Kimber's family getting out of the hole they are in. They need to catch a break big time.
And the birth of my bestest friends' baby boy, Brayden. He's due the beginning of the year.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
2. Why do you think bananas are shaped the way they are? So monkeys can hold them better and play telephone with other monkeys.
3. Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip? Miracle Whip beats mayo around here.
4. Do you use keyboard shortcuts? all the time. I'd go nuts without them.
5. Are you a member at InsanityCafe Forums & Arcade? If not, you should be. Why yes I am, as a matter of fact :) It's the best place on earth next to Disneyland. I'm the admin over there, so I can say that. But it is really slow right now, so I think everyone should go over there and shake the place up a bit!
6. Where I live it was a low of -19 degrees this morning - what was your low last night/this morning? It's -14 below now, which is colder than it was an hour ago.
7. Do you like hard boiled eggs? covered in salt - you betcha!
8. Have you ever drank green beer? Nope. And don't plan on it. It's not the green part that bothers me - its the beer part.
9. Whats your favorite cleaner? Clorox Clean-up!
10.White or whole wheat bread? White. Unless I'm eating a radish sandwich, then it has to be Home Pride wheat.
11. Everyone has some type of phobia - whats yours? My biggest one is someone getting hurt, like physically. I can't stand it when someone is doing something dangerous.
12. Aren't you glad there weren't any Christmas related meme questions? Yes, which is my own fault. No offense, but there are far too many Christmas questions in all the memes this week.
Either that or I just do too many memes.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
1. What is the one sexual act you would never do? Anything to do with body fluids - which by that I mean poop, pee or blood. I ain't cutting myself for nobody.
2. Is there anyone you know, that if they turned out to be a serial killer you would not be surprised? This is actually the question that really got my attention. ;) Nobody would be surprised to find out if *I* became one... I have this fascination with serial killers and the husband is often times worried that I'm actually training when I'm reading. But, he knows it's not the killings themselves I'm fascinated with.. it's the minds behind it. To get deep into someone's mind like Albert Fish, Ed Gein or whoever (my list is pretty long) would be the biggest trip ever!
3. What is the most annoying thing about the holiday season for you? This whole bullshit about a dollar amount. If you spend $20 on one nephew, you gotta make sure you spend close with the other. WTF is that all about?
4. If you saw a video of your celebrity crush picking their nose, would that change your opinion of their hotness? Not one bit. I bet he'd look hot picking his nose. I bet his boogers are even sexy.
5. What is the one non-sexual thing you would be embarrassed to be caught doing? Farting? I don't know...
6. A favorite blogger friend wrote a column about the one word that really turns her on. Do you have a word or phrase that does the same for you? What is it? "Mine". Don't wanna explain the story here though
7. As someone who ran a virtual cookie exchange, I have to ask what your favorite cookie is? Chocolate/peanut butter chip, of course!
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
I've mentioned it a few times here that, along with this blog, I also own a forum called InsanityCafe.Have you been there? Have you joined? Why the hell not? I think you should... it's kinda dead in there of late with the holiday season going on and everything... we need some new blood to liven the place up!
And there's even an arcade that you can play! I seem to have this addiction with adding new games, so there's almost 300 games to choose from. Yeah, 300. It's sort of pathetic.
So come on... join. Talk to me. I'm bored.
You can even put a link to your blog in your signature and get a bunch of new readers !
Have you joined yet?
Monday, December 15, 2008
Have you ever returned an item to a store for a refund after having used it? I know I have, but I can't think of what it was. I remember arguing that I only used it once and it broke... but for the life of me I can't think of what it was.
You are going out for the evening. If your partner objects to what you are wearing, would you change your clothing? Yeah, I would. Actually it's kinda funny - we were married outside and I hate wearing shoes in the summer so I wasn't going to wear any and the husband told me he wouldn't marry me if I didn't have shoes on. So I wore the stupid things for the ceremony and then kicked them off when we were done. Didn't understand his thinking, but whatever it took to get him to marry me.
And another story - the other day I had put on a turtleneck and a denim shirt over the top. Something I don't normally wear, but my flannel shirts were in the laundry. When he got hom from work he said "why are you all dressed up?". I told him he must think I dress like a slob if that was considered dressing up to him.
What item that you don’t currently possess would you most like to have in your home? A new tv and new kitchen cabinets.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Sunday Stealing: The Christmas Meme
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? wrapping paper. What fun is gift bags? Ripping the paper is the whole fun of it!
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial. I have my parent's old tree. I'm cheap. I can't see spending $100 on a tree you only use once a year. But after Christmas I wanna try to find a white tree on clearance just to use every now and then.
3. When do you put up the tree? When I feel like it. We put the tree up last weekend. I get sick of it really quick.
4. When do you take the tree down? Usually the weekend after Christmas.... like I said, I get sick of it quick.
5. Do you like eggnog? No. The husband does though.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Any of the My Little Pony sets. I loved them! I know they are back out again, but they just aren't the same as the 80's ones.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My parents. They have everything.... well, they have everything they want because if they want it, they buy it.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Demon #2. She makes it very clear what she wants for gifts.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, but it offends some people because it's the Bearfoots nativity scene. The husband even made me a rustic looking barn thing to go with it.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. Email is so last year.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I don't know if there has been a worst. Probably some sweater my parents bought me when I was a teen or something.
12. Favorite for Christmas dinner? The only one we ever have - ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, corn.....
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? November
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? We do this gift exchange at my parents we call "White Elephant". You put your gift in a brown paper bag and we put all the bags in the middle of the room and draw numbers... you pick a bag and you can keep your gift or exchange it for someone else's that's already been opened (only once). You see a lot of recycling going on there but it's always fun.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Trees.
16. Lights on the tree? Do I put lights on the tree? Yes. I use different colors every year. I hate multi-colored lights though. This year I have a white string, red string & blue string LOL
17. Favorite Christmas song? Haven't I answered this 100 times in the past couple weeks? Gene Autry's Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Christmas Day we stay home, but Christmas Eve we go to my parents (a block away) and the Saturday before Christmas this year we are going to Jason's sisters for his side of the familys' Christmas. She lives about 5 miles away. Nobody really strayed far from home in our families.
19. Angel on the tree top or a star? Now thats one thing I'm goofy about - it's gotta be an angel. And it's a real angel, not a bear or anything.
20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We've always done Christmas morning with the demons. Thats one thing I will miss most of all when they grow up. There is a rule that no matter what time they wake up, they wake us up and we go open presents. (the earliest so far has been 4:30) I used to get up early and turn the tree lights on so everything would be ready... because Santa came overnight. I miss hearing one of them get up, sneak downstairs to see what was there and then go back upstairs and wake the other one up with whispered surprise "Oh my God! You gotta come down...." or whatever the words were that year. Now that Santa is "done" they are only surprised by their stockings and they still have to wake us up. It's stilll magical though. It's probably my favorite morning of the entire year.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Yesterday we went to the store to get a new thermostat for our furnace. While we were there we picked up a few other items. Let's start with the thermostat, pretty normal routine of picking that out and placing it in the bottom of the cart.
Now we're on our way to the pet section to grab some dog food. Pit stop in the windshield washer fluid section. We buy this crap by the case because I have this obsession with a clean windshield. The husband tells me to grab the thermostat out of the bottom of the cart so we don't squish it with the case of fluid. I reach my hand down in the cart and instead of waiting for me to actually have the thermostat out of the fricken cart, he starts to put the fluid box in the cart. My hand isn't free of the box and the fricken box top rips and he drops the box... right onto my hand. Dammit. Ouch. It's just one finger after the pain subsides... but a throbbing finger. Don't want to cry in the store so I suck it up and deal with it. But it hurts.
So we get the dog food and he decides he wants a new snow shovel. I head down to the clothes to see whats on sale and we meet up about 10 minutes later. We go to the checkout and start checking out. He says "watch out" and moves the shovel towards me... right into my head! A shovel upside the head... yeah that hurts. Now I'm just pissed. Hurt finger, hurt head. I want to just cry.
Then today. Yep, it carries on the whole weekend. We went with a friend to pick up a donkey for the church Christmas program tomorrow. No, not a real donkey... a fake real-life looking one. So this thing has felt/carpet fur that is covered in hay & dirt. (The donkey was in a barn, go figure.) We are vacuuming the donkey with the vacuum hose in church when the husband decides we'll put the floor attachment on so the rollers can "fluff" the fur. I'm cleaning one of the hooves and I hear him say "look out". Is he talking to me or our friend? I don't know, I'm knelt down on the ground minding my own business. Then I feel my hair being sucked up and twisted around the roller of the vacuum.
I've had a very bad weekend.