Tuesday, August 19, 2008

To know or not to know

Ok I'm in a predicament.

Serena is home and she's fine. (pissed off at me, but fine) Wendy (vet) is pretty confident that she got the entire tumor. I have not yet said "send the sample in"... I have a week to decide. I don't know what to do... if it's cancer then she goes down to the UofM to oncology (? is that right?) to see what they think and then start her on chemo. I don't think I'd put her through chemo, though. Serena is 10 years old... it won't prolong her life that much longer and what kind of life would it be?
So if I know its cancer then what? I obsess over the fact that she has cancer... knowing she'll die from it and I sit and wait for the inevitable.
Now... without knowing the results, then what? Am I going to obsess about it? Am I going to watch her every move to see if maybe she's showing signs of cancer?

The cost of the test isn't a problem at all.

There is a very good chance it is cancer. It usually is in cats.

Basically... what would you do? Would you want to know? What would you do with the results?