Monday, June 08, 2015

I Can't Believe How Fat You Are!

Not something you would say to someone, is it? Ok, maybe a dog maybe. A chunky dog. But a human? No, you would never say it. But think about this for a second... of all the things you wouldn't say to a fat person, why would you say basically the same thing to a skinny person?

I have good genes. And one hell of a metabolism. I am lucky, I know that. I eat at least... and I mean, at least... 2 king size candy bars everyday. I munch on junk all day long.  I drink soda and rarely drink water. Somehow all my blood work is normal and I'm healthy. Am I bragging? No. What I am saying is... I can do these things, so I do them. I don't do it to flaunt it, I do it because I don't know any different. I've always been able to. I don't know how to watch calories or fat grams.

But being skinny sucks. The comments suck. After 40some years of hearing the same stuff over and over again, it really sucks.

Things I hear that you would never say to a fat person:

Oh my god, how can you eat that candy bar?
You are what jeans size? That makes me sick.
If I ate all that, I'd be twice your size!

.....those things you would never say to a fat person, would you? Why is is ok to say to someone who is skinny? Did you ever stop and wonder if that skinny person isn't trying to gain weight?  It's difficult to gain weight if your body doesn't want to. Yeah, I know, you can eat what I eat and gain 20lbs, I get that. But I can't.

I know people say it out of jealousy or that they wish they could be skinny, but think about it next time you make a comment to a skinny person.... it doesn't make the skinny person feel good, it makes them feel guilty and self conscious.

No comments: