Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fundraisers

I HATE fund raisers. I don't want any freaky PTA member coming and slamming me on this, but take it from a Mom who is sick of them. Every September it's the same thing.. a few weeks into school and we are blasted with the famous catalog fund raiser filled with overpriced products that nobody really wants anyway. But to make our kids happy, we let them irritate friends and family with begging of buying these overpriced products that nobody really wants anyway. To get what? A cheesy little prize that I could get them at the dollar store. Gads. When Demon Spawn #1 & 2 were in Elementary school together I begged and pleaded with them to combine their fund raisers. I only won once. One year I threw the whole thing away and gave the PTA a twenty dollar bill.
Now I have the privilege of having one Demon in 6th grade, one in 7th. Different schools. I was happy last year that it was the last year of fund raising for Demon #1! Wrong. Stupid mom. This year we were happily given 3 fund raisers - by 3 different organizations - all within a week of each other. The dreaded catalog one for Elem. for Demon #2, selling magazine subscriptions for band (Demon #1 is in band) and the 3rd? Demon #1 is in Confirmation this year, so the church is doing their annual Pizza fund raiser. Great. Now we get to blast friends & family with not only the overpriced products that nobody really wants anyway, but add to it pizza and magazines. And you can't just buy from one, you know. Thats unfair.
Can't organizations pick a different time of year to do this stuff other than the same time everyone else is? It doesn't help that we've just spent hundreds of dollars getting the kids ready for school to begin with - clothes, supplies, money in their lunch accounts. Now we have to buy overpriced products that nobody really wants anyway. And try not to forget that the holiday giving season is right around the corner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, just wrote out a PTA check this morning for some misc crap that I dont need so my kids could get a lame prize and a POSSIBLE ice cream party in her room.

Hate fundraisers!