Sunday, September 21, 2008

It's a Sunday

I'm sitting here watching the clock tick down until the girls leave for PopTalk/Confirmation Class so I can jump in the shower and get myself ready for church.

Parents have to go to church as a requirement starting this year. Parents should go to church with their children, it's only common sense, but this year the parents have to answer questions - just like the students - about the church service/sermon. I don't know how I feel about that.

Yeah I do. I don't like it. I don't like being told that I HAVE to go to church every Sunday and I sure don't like having "homework" attached to it. While you are in confirmation classes, sure... makes sense. But why the parents? It takes a lot away from the reason you are going to church in the first place, IMO.

I left the Catholic church because of their rules and I fell in love with the Lutheran church because of the laid back, welcoming feel when you walk in the door. I never felt welcomed at a Catholic church like I do at ours. But now? Now all of a sudden there is this obligation attached to going and I don't like that. I want to go because I want to go... not because someone tells me I have to go so I can answer questions so my children can be confirmed.

I just think it's wrong. It's like having to pass some graduation test so my child can graduate from high school.

No comments: