Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A HALLOWEEN "DUH, MOM"

Happy Halloween everyone!

I crawl out of bed at 4:30 this morning to find Demon #2 awake. "I woke up at 2:00 and couldn't get back to sleep" Yesterday morning she was up at 4:30 and never went back to sleep. This morning I checked the living room at about 6:30 and she was out like a light again, so somewhere between 6-6:30 she fell asleep. I try to wake her up and her eyes just won't open, no matter how hard she tries or I try. She just can't get herself to wake up. I know she hasn't been sleeping well, so I ask her if she just wants to stay home and miss the Halloween party at school. We are one of the few districts left in the country that allows kids to dress up for Halloween... and we celebrate Christmas too!
She wants to stay home, regardless of the party. So I call school and tell them the truth - the waking up at 2:00, the whole works. They said I can bring her in when she wakes up - the sympathy runs pretty clear with our school secretaries, they are so sweet.
So she wakes up around 9:00 and I ask her if she wants to go to school. No. She says she has a headache.

"You'll miss the Halloween party"

"It's ok, I really don't like Halloween parties"

This is where I should have figured it out.

"Ok, but no computer."

"What? Awww Mom!"

"Nope. Thats the deal. You can stay home, but you are home sick. Do you want to go to school instead?"

"No, it's ok, I'll just stay off the computer"

This kid must really not feel good.


"Well, we'll see tonight if you can go trick or treating, but you might not get to go, ok?"

"Ok>"

No arguing on that one? Huh?

DUH MOM.

What kid are we talking about here? This is the same one that since she was 2 years old has been scared to death of Halloween. She would scream bloody murder if you even tried to go past the Halloween aisle in a store!

Then came the movie Scream.

We own the mask, but it's hidden in the basement. She will not go into a room even if the mask is laying ALONE, by itself, on a table. She won't do it.

Every year it's the same thing - she goes out begging for candy, but doesn't last long. "I'm cold", "My feet hurt". That's not it at all and I know better.

Same with today. She doesn't want to go to school because of the costumes. She's afraid that there will be a scary one... and quite possibly a Scream costume. Call me a bad mom, but I'm not forcing my kid to go somewhere that will throw her into an anxiety filled fear. I won't do it. I should have figured this all out from the minute she hadn't been sleeping the past week - she's been scared of the upcoming holiday.

Duh.

The other Demon, she loves Halloween. Tonight she's going as a brain donor. We are taking a head of cauliflower, putting it in red food coloring water and wrapping her head up with gauze with fake blood. Today at school, she's a hippie. And the cat is a cowboy - or was for a few minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor kid. I really dislike when people dress up wearing any types of masks..... especially the scream one. I LOVE horror movies, but had a bad experience when someone came dressed up in the scream outfit and wouldn't take it off so I could see their face. NO WAY NO HOW. I can totally understand.

She can have some of my candy!